The Victorian Deer Control Strategy is our plan to reduce the impact deer are having across Victoria. It outlines a new approach to deer management and has 3 key goals:
- The impacts of deer on key environmental, agricultural and Aboriginal cultural heritage values and public safety are reduced.
- Deer control is more effective through partnerships and community collaboration.
- Awareness, understanding and capacity to control deer is increased.
To deliver the Strategy, the Victorian Government will work in partnership with:
- Traditional Owners
- public and private land managers
- conservation and community groups
- the agricultural sector
- water and catchment management authorities
- Local Government
- the Commonwealth Government
- other states and territories
- the commercial deer harvest industry
- hunting organisations and hunters
- community members.
The Strategy has been prepared by the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP) and the Department of Jobs, Precincts and Regions (DJPR). It is a key action under the Victorian Government’s Sustainable Hunting Action Plan 2016 – 2020 and is recognised in the Protecting Victoria’s Environment - Biodiversity 2037 Implementation Framework.
The Victorian Deer Control Strategy is available to download:
Frequently Asked Questions
Page last updated: 04/11/20