Overview of action statements
The preparation of action statements is a statutory requirement for all listed taxa, communities and Potentially Threatening Processes (PTP). An action statement sets out what has been done in the past, and identifies potential future actions intended to conserve and manage a species, community or PTP.
To manage the preparation of action statements and support the conservation sector to participate in implementing priority actions, a new approach has been adopted to:
- Prioritise and publish a list of action statements for preparation each year
- Standardise and simplify templates
- Align data systems and to support efficient preparation of action statements
- Facilitate greater collaboration, partnerships and involvement across the conservation sector to prepare and implement action statements.
For species, the new streamlined action statement contains a list of threats and intended and past actions, as well as links to supplementary information such as species ecology, and decision support tools. The design of action statements for ecological communities and Potentially Threatening Processes is in development.
Action statement Priority Preparation List
The FFG Act emphasises the importance of cooperative approaches to biodiversity conservation, recognising that all government agencies and the community can participate in the conservation effort. To facilitate a collective effort and provide guidance on the focus for each financial year, the Victorian Government will publish an annual list of which action statements will be prepared.
This list will consider the following:
- Government obligations and commitments: alignment with standing public commitments under Regional Forestry Agreements and existing threatened species programs.
- Ecological need: alignment with species vulnerability and projected outlook, and urgency for action.
- Social and cultural need: alignment with policy positions (e.g., supporting actions on invasive species) and connections with Traditional Owners.
The 2022-23 priority list includes 94 species and 6 ecological communities and is available here: Priority Action Statement Preparation List 2022-2023 (PDF, 1.2 MB)
An invitation to work together
The Victorian Government invites Traditional Owners, government and non-government organisations, private and public land managers to work together to support the preparation and implementation of action statements. We welcome the inclusion of traditional ecological knowledge, and culturally specific actions aligned with self-determination where Traditional Owner groups see fit for incorporation.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can partner and collaborate to strengthen the delivery of our conservation management actions to support the vision for Victoria’s biodiversity to be healthy, valued and actively cared for.
Published action statements
Each listed species, community and potentially threatening process requires an action statement to be prepared once listed under the FFG Act. These lists can be found here: https://www.environment.vic.gov.au/conserving-threatened-species/threatened-list.
Below are action statements that have been prepared to date. New action statements prepared in line with the annual priority list will be published here.
Page last updated: 12/01/23