The Environment Protection Amendment Act 2018 provides the foundation for a transformation of Victoria’s environment protection laws and Environment Protection Authority Victoria (EPA). The Victorian Government intends this new legislation to take effect from 1 July 2020.
It includes a new approach to environmental issues, focusing on preventing waste and pollution impacts rather than managing those impacts after they have occurred.
The legislation will enhance the protection of Victoria’s environment and human health through a more proportionate, risk-based environment protection framework that includes:
- A preventative approach through a general environmental duty.
- A tiered system of EPA permissions to support risk based and proportionate regulatory oversight.
- Significant reforms to contaminated land and waste management.
- Increased maximum penalties.
- Requirements for more environmental information to be publicly available.
- Modernising and strengthening EPA’s compliance and enforcement powers.
You can view the Act at the Victorian Parliament’s website.