The Environment Protection (Scheduled Premises and Exemptions) Regulations 2007 apply requirements to a range of industrial and commercial activities with the potential for significant environmental impacts. They prescribe premises in Victoria that are required to obtain an EPA works approval and/or licence, and/or provide a financial assurance.
DELWP and EPA are reviewing these regulations before they expire in mid-2017.
Regulatory impact statement and proposed 2017 regulations released for comment
On 20 October 2016, DELWP and EPA released the regulatory impact statement (RIS) for the proposed 2017 Environment Protection (Scheduled Premises) Regulations including an exposure draft of the regulations, for public comment.
The RIS finds the preferred option is to re-make the current regulations, with amendments to:
- require large reprocessors of electronic waste and glass to obtain a works approval and/or licence
- limit works approval and licence exemptions for new sources of emissions to air of fine particles (PM2.5)
- limit works approval exemptions for small municipal landfills to those in use prior to the commencement of the proposed Regulations
- remove works approval and licensing requirements for premises that temporarily store asbestos and lower hazard liquid wastes under strict conditions
- exempt potable water treatment plants and some modification works at sewage treatment plants from works approval requirements
- clarify the descriptions and/or thresholds relating to organic waste processing (previously composting), intensive animal industries and beverage manufacturing
- make minor and administrative changes in relation to the emergency storage of biomedical waste, energy from waste facilities, livestock saleyards and holding pens, fish farms, rendering facilities, contaminated soil facilities, seafood processing premises and printing facilities
Comments on the RIS were due by 16 December 2016. 29 submissions were received from stakeholders which will inform the finalisation of the 2017 regulations. The non-confidential submissions are available here .
The amended regulations are proposed to take effect from 25 June 2017.
Earlier discussion paper
If you would like to receive email updates on this review, please email us at email@example.com